These little bite-size chocolate peanut butter cups are to die for.
With just 6 ingredients and under 2o minutes of hands on prep work plus a little waiting around time while they freeze, these chocolate snacks are a perfect healthy Easter treat. They’re bite-sized, sweet, and decadent but much healthier than the traditional versions! The hard chocolate coating gives way to a creamy, caramelly, peanut-buttery centre that melts in your mouth.
The first step is to make a simple raw chocolate sauce. All you have to do is stir together some melted coconut oil with maple syrup and cocoa powder. Then spoon some into your candy cups and freeze for 10 minutes.
Then, while the cups are freezing make the peanut butter filling. I call it salted caramel peanut butter because adding a little maple syrup to peanut butter and stirring in some milk and vanilla transforms it into a sticky and delicious spread with the taste and consistency of caramel.
Once the chocolate has set, just spoon the peanut butter mixture into your cups and top with extra chocolate. Freeze for half an hour and then they’re ready to eat!
Bite Sized Salted Caramel Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
Makes 15 cups
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp agave or maple syrup
- 12 tbsp cocoa powder
Peanut Butter Filling
- 3 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 1.5 tbsp maple syrup
- 1.5 tbsp almond milk or other milk
- 1/4 tsp ground vanilla powder (or liquid vanilla)
- a pinch of salt if your peanut butter is unsalted
- In a small glass, mix the ingredients for the chocolate coating and stir well.
- Use a small spoon to line 15 little candy cups (looks like a muffin liner but the size of what a chocolate truffle would come in) with chocolate sauce. Just spoon a little bit into the bottom so that it is covered and then use the back of the spoon to go up the sides and coat them to the top. You should have chocolate sauce left over.
- Put the chocolate coated candy cups on a plate and place them in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes or until hardened
- While the chocolate is freezing, make the peanut butter sauce: In a small bowl or mug mix all the ingredients until well combined and it has a consistency like caramel (see photos).
- Spoon the peanut butter filling into each cup so that each one is about 3/4 full
- Spoon the rest of the chocolate on top of the peanut butter and freeze for 30 minutes to set and harden