This Black Lentil & Avocado Salad….
…can be eaten using tortilla chips
…is full of protein and nutrients
…takes only 15 minutes to make (after the lentils are cooked)
…is a mixture of black lentils, creamy avocado, tomatoes, peppery arugula and fried onions all soaked in a tangy dijon vinaigrette with accents of cumin, coriander, cayenne and turmeric.
You know your salad’s good when you can scoop it up with tortilla chips instead of using a fork.
Although tortilla chips are optional, they’re highly recommended and the soft lentils go so well with a crispy, salty chip.
This salad is perfect as a small side but a larger portion could easily be eaten as an entree! It’s packed with protein and veggie goodness and it’s super filling! Perfect served cold at a summer bbq after spending a night in the fridge soaking up the vinaigrette.
It’s also really easy to prepare!
While the lentils are cooking, fry the onions, chop the other veggies, and whisk the dressing together. The lentils need about 30 minutes to cook, but the other steps only require about 15 minutes total. Once the lentils are cooked simply throw everything into a big bowl and pour on the dressing.
This can be eaten hot or it can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge. I like it best cold and topped with extra avocado and tortilla chips.
- 4 cups cooked black lentils (~ 2 cups dry)
- 1 large tomato
- ¼ cup chopped sun dried tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- 1 red onion
- 1 cup packed and chopped arugula
- handful of chives (optional)
- juice of 2 small lemons
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
- ⅛ tsp cumin
- ⅛ tsp coriander
- ⅛ tsp cayenne
- olive oil for frying
- Cook lentils according to package instructions
- Thinly slice the onion and fry it in a frying pan with ~1tbsp olive oil
- While waiting for the lentils to cook and onions to fry, mix the dressing: in a small cup or bowl whisk together the mustard, maple syrup, turmeric, cumin, coriander, cayenne, lemon juice, olive oil and vinegar.
- Once lentils are cooked, add the tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, arugula, avocado, onion and chives.
- Pour on the dressing and mix well.
- You can eat this right away or make it ahead and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Both ways are delicious!