Nothing says summer like blossoms, blooming flowers, bright colours and sprouting vegetables and now that summer is in full swing it’s time to relax outside, light the bbq and celebrate with some weather appropriate food. This broccoli salad is everything that summer should be combined on one little plate. Fresh, vibrant, colourful, and light, with a touch of sweetness for good measure.
With a creamy, sweet and citrusy dressing, and crunchy veggies and nuts, it’s a perfect combination of satisfying meal + light summer snack. It would be a great addition to a picnic or bbq, or just for a quick lunch or dinner.
Blooming Broccoli Salad
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped into small florets
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
- 8-10 brazil nuts, cut into thin slices
- 1 bunch of green onions, chopped thinly
- handful of chopped basil leaves (about 10-12 leaves)
- handful of blue borage flowers, dill flowers, chive blossoms or any other edible flowers to mix in and garnish.
- half an avocado
- juice of one orange
- juice of one lime
- 1/2 tbsp agave, maple syrup or other liquid sweetener
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions.
- While the rice is cooking, make the dressing – In a blender, food processor, or with a hand mixer, mix all ingredients, adding the oil last.
- Put the broccoli, raisins, avocado, brazil nuts, green onions, and basil into a large bowl and then add the rice and stir to mix.
- Pour the dressing over
- Add the flowers (chopped or whole)
- Serve with cut veggies, fresh bread or fruit and garnish with flowers.