Gingerbread men are my childhood favourite Christmas cookie. They’re cute, fun to make and decorate, and so easy!
These would be great to take to Christmas parties, to hang on the Christmas tree, or to give as a homemade gift.
These cookies are just the right balance of soft and crispy, perfectly spiced with ginger and cinnamon, and have a rich sweetness thanks to coconut sugar and molasses. The dough comes together in less than 15 minutes, gets chilled for an hour, and then cut into shapes, cooked and iced.
I hope you all love these cookies! Tag them #peacemealxo on instagram so I can see all your gingerbread men!
- -----For the cookies-----
- ½ cup vegan butter
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp chia seeds + 3 tbsp water OR 3 tbsp aquafaba (the liquid from a can of chickpeas)
- ½ cup molasses
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1-2 tbsp almond milk
- -----For the glaze-----
- 1 cup Powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp hot water
- Mix chia seeds and water in a small cup or bowl, stir and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Put butter and coconut sugar in a large bowl, and use the back of a fork to mix it together until you have a creamy mixture.
- Mix in ginger, cinnamon, chia +water mixture (or aquafaba) and molasses .
- Once well mixed, add the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Use the fork or a wooden spoon to stir them together and then use your hands and mix until there is no visible flour. Add almond milk one tablespoon at a time and mix until you have a soft, mold-able dough.
- Divide dough into two balls, wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Take dough out of the fridge and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll dough out on floured surface (about ⅛ inch thick), and cut into desired shapes.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until crisp but not darkened
- Mix the icing sugar and water until smooth.
- Let cookies cool, and then decorate with glaze and sprinkles.