This super easy recipe turns regular coconut flakes into crispy, salty, smoky chips that taste crazily similar to bacon bits and make the perfect topping for salads, soups, loaded baked potatoes, or even pasta!
DIY coconut bacon
A simple recipe that makes perfectly crisp and smoky chips great for salad toppings or just to munch on.
Serves: 3 cups
- 3 cups large coconut flakes (not shreds)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put the coconut flakes in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl or cup, mix the soy sauce, maple syrup and paprika. Start with 1 tbsp of maple syrup, then taste and adjust if you want it sweeter.
- Pour the wet mixture over the coconut flakes and mix well with a spoon until all flakes are covered.
- Spoon the coconut flakes onto your baking sheet (try to get them in a single layer) and bake for 15 minutes. Use a wooden spoon to spread them around every few minutes to make sure they bake evenly.
- Let cool, and either serve immediately or store in an air tight container for up to a week.