On cool fall days there’s nothing better than sitting down to a fresh, warm, and steaming bowl of soup . And when you add some croutons and other soup toppings and have some fresh bread on the side, you’t got a perfect fall meal.
You can always buy canned soups at the store, but it’s so much more satisfying to make your own. And it’s almost as easy as opening a can! This tomato soup only takes about 35 minutes, has 7 ingredients (plus salt and pepper), requires minimal prep work, and is so creamy and full of tomato-y flavour.
It starts with a whole lot of tomatoes sliced in half and oven roasted.
While the tomatoes are cooking, just add a handful of cashews, a spoonful each of agave and olive oil and some rosemary, salt and pepper to your blender.
Cut your bread, toss it in some olive oil, coat it with rosemary and sea salt and pan fry it until crispy. At the same time fry up your onions and garlic.
Then all that’s left to do is add the roasted tomatoes + pan fried onion mixture to the blender and blend away.
That’s all there is to it. Cut, roast, fry, blend, eat.
I like mine topped with some sliced avocado, lots of croutons, dried rosemary, black pepper and vegan parmesan cheese.
Thanks to the addition of a handful of cashews, this tomato soup is super rich and creamy. It’s layered with flavours of rosemary, onion, garlic and tomato and topped with homemade sea salt and rosemary infused croutons, buttery slices of avocado, fresh basil, vegan parmesan cheese, a drizzle of olive oil and a shake of rosemary and black pepper. It’s a perfect fall meal to whip up for lunch or dinner.
- 850 g tomatoes - here I used fairly small tomatoes (slightly larger than cherry tomatoes) but it works with any kind.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp agave
- 1 large red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup cashews - soaked in boiling water for 20 minutes if you don't have a high speed blender
- 1 tbsp rosemary (Fresh or dried works)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bun - I used multigrain
- 1 tbsp olive oil + more for the pan
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- suggested soup toppings: croutons, rosemary, basil, freshly ground pepper, sliced avocado, drizzle of olive oil, vegan parmesan cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash the tomatoes and slice in half. Place cut side down on the parchment paper and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the skins have shrivelled up a bit.
- In the meantime, pan fry the garlic and onions with ~1tbsp olive oil over medium heat until the onions soften and the garlic starts to brown (~7 minutes)
- Add the roasted tomatoes, and the fried onions and garlic to a blender with the rest of the ingredients and blend on high until it reaches a smooth consistency.
- For the croutons - Chop the bun into small, crouton sized squares and toss them in a small bowl with the olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper until all are well coated. Pan fry with ~1tbsp olive oil, stirring them around often, for about 10 minutes or until they crisp up on all sides.
- Dish the soup into bowls. Top with croutons and any other desired toppings.