It wouldn’t really be the holiday season without one or more sweet, rich and creamy eggnog lattes. The creamy texture, warm spices and an added hit of caffeine make an eggnog latte the perfect drink to sip on a wintery morning.
This healthier version is vegan but doesn’t sacrifice any of the flavour. Plus it can be made for just a fraction of the cost of a coffee shop version. You just need a few basic ingredients and in under 10 minutes you’ll have a delicious, frothy latte ready to sip.
You start by blending some almond milk with dates and spices to make a caramelly sweet, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla infused milk that tastes convincingly close to real eggnog. Then you simply heat it up, brew your espresso, and mix the two of them together in your favourite mug. Easy!
and if you don’t have an espresso machine you can simply substitute the espresso with half a cup of strongly brewed coffee.
Sip this latte with cookies on the side while curled up with blankets and a good book on a cold snowy day.
I like it topped with a heavy handed dusting of nutmeg and liberal amounts of whipped cream that melts into the milk and makes it extra creamy.
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2-3 soft dates (start with 2 and add a third at the end if it's not sweet enough)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground vanilla
- 1 shot of espresso or ½ cup strongly brewed coffee
- To serve (optional)- vegan whipped cream, a shake of extra nutmeg and a cinnamon stick
- In a blender, blend almond milk, 2 dates, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla until the dates are fully blended. Taste and add a third date if you want it a bit sweeter.
- Pour the milk into a small saucepan and heat until almost boiling. At the same time, prepare your coffee or espresso.
- Pour espresso into a glass cup or mug.
- Froth the hot milk using a milk frother (optional) and pour over the espresso.
- Top with coconut or soy whipped cream, a shake of nutmeg and a cinnamon stick,