This mixture of hot, steamy oats with swirls of cold, melting ice cream is to die for. It’s my new favourite way to turn my winter breakfast staple (hot oatmeal) into the perfect breakfast for a hot summer day. And it tastes like dessert.
To start, the rolled oats are cooked in almond milk for a super creamy base. Then mixed with vanilla, maple syrup and blueberries. The ice cream takes about 2 minutes to make and can be done while the oats are cooking. It’s a simple mixture of frozen bananas, blueberries, almond milk and vanilla.
For toppings you can add whatever you’d like but my favourite combo is dark chocolate, peanut butter, pecans and coconut.
The recipe below makes one serving of oats and two servings of ice cream. I normally use half the ice cream and save the rest for the next day. Or you can double the oats and make this for two.
This bowl + a big mug of coffee = the perfect breakfast
- ½ cup rolled oats (gluten free if necessary)
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup frozen blueberries
- 1-2 tsbp maple syrup
- Ice Cream
- 2 frozen bananas
- ½ cup frozen blueberries
- ⅓ cup almond milk
- ½ tsp ground vanilla (or liquid)
- Dark chocolate
- Coconut flakes
- Nut butter
- Pecans or other nuts
- To make the oats, stir oats and almond milk in a pot over medium heat. Once the milk is absorbed and the oats have thickened up stir in the vanilla and maple syrup (start with one tbsp and add more if you want it sweeter)
- While the oats are cooking, make the ice cream. Blend all ingredients until the texture is like ice cream and all the chunks are gone.
- Put the oats into a bowl and top with as much ice cream as you'd like. I usually save half for the next day. Alternatively you could double the ingredients for the oatmeal and make this for two!
- Top with your choice of toppings!