This simple but hearty throw together sandwich is the perfect choice for a quick lunch or an easy dinner! It’s healthy and satisfying, and all you need is some good, bakery style bread, an assortment of veggies and some dijon mustard.
This sandwich is stacked with a colourful assortment of vegetables – starting with a generous slather of creamy mashed avocado, and then piled with shredded beets, carrots, cucumber, sweet red onions, tomato, spinach, roasted sweet potato fries and parsley- And two thick slices of smoky, crispy-on-the-outside-tender-on-the-inside tofu.
All this is squished together between a whole grain bun to make a delicious mixture of cold, warm, crispy, tender, sweet and spicy textures and flavours. And the sweet potato fries add some warm fall flavour and pair perfectly with smoky tofu and a spicy dijon mustard
Smoked Tofu and Loaded Veggie Sandwich
Makes 2 sandwiches
- 2 whole grain buns
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1/2 cup shredded or peeled beet root
- 1 medium sized carrot, shredded or peeled into thin slices
- 1/4 of a large cucumber, cut or peeled into thin slices
- 1/2 of a small red onion, sliced
- 1 tomato, cut into thin slices
- handful of spinach leaves (3 or 4 for each sandwich)
- 1 sweet potato + a splash of olive oil
- handful of parsley, chopped
- 4 slices of thickly sliced smoked tofu (or plain)
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- Cut your sweet potato into thin, french fry style slices. Toss in a bowl with a splash of olive oil and salt if desired and bake at 450 F for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes start to turn brown and the edges puff up a little.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a small frying pan over medium heat and fry your tofu for 5 minutes on each side
- Using the back of a fork, mash your avocado in a bowl and spread on the bottom half of each bun
- Spread 1 tbsp of dijon mustard on the top half of each bun
- Add all of the veggies, tofu and 5 or 6 sweet potato fries on top of the avocado. Add the top half of the bun and squish together
- Serve the rest of the sweet potato fries on the side