A spicy, loaded chili with a heaping spoonful of yogurt is one of my favourite winter meals. Filling, warming, and healthy. This one pot chili is super simple to make, requires minimal effort, and uses ingredients that you likely already have on hand. It’s loaded with protein thanks to kidney beans, white beans and lentils, packed full of good-for-you veggies like onions, garlic, yellow and red peppers, tomatoes and jalepeno and seasoned with an array of delicious spices. To top it off, cold, creamy yogurt and buttery avocado tie all the flavours together.
This chili would make a perfect weeknight meal that’s filling and satisfying and not too difficult or time consuming. Or just make a big pot on the weekend and re-heat throughout the week for those nights when you don’t feel like cooking.
Plus, chili is the perfect game day food and with superbowl coming up this would be great to serve to guests as well!
If you get a chance to try this, let me know by tagging it #peacemealxo on instagram!
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- ½ red pepper, diced
- ½ yellow pepper, diced (or more red)
- 1 chili pepper or jalepeno
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped or use a garlic press)
- 2.5 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 dried chilis
- 8 medium sized tomatoes, chopped into small cubes (~430g)
- 1¾ cups water
- ¾ cup dry red lentils
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans
- 1 15 ounce can white beans
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- smoked salt (optional but recommended)
- Melt coconut oil in a sauce pan. Once melted and hot, add onion, red and yellow pepper and chili pepper and season with salt.
- Saute over medium heat for 5-10 minutes or until soft.
- Add garlic and saute for another couple of minutes until garlic starts to brown.
- Add cumin, paprika, dried chilis, tomatoes and water and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- Once the water is boiling, add lentils, cover, and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes
- Add kidney beans, white beans, maple syrup, smoked salt and pepper.
- Adjust spices to taste.
- Stir to combine everything, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Taste and adjust salt, pepper and spices as needed.
- Serve topped with yogurt and avocado