Cold pasta salad is a perfect summertime lunch or dinner. All the carbs and satisfaction without the heat and heaviness of a warm bowl of noodles. This salad is perfect for a light lunch. With gluten free rice penne, fresh, raw veggies and a delicious herb filled citrus sauce, you’ll finish lunch completely satisfied but not stuffed.
At the end of the week, when food is running low and you only have a few leftovers hanging around in the fridge, pasta salad is an easy meal that makes use of all those last bits and pieces. You can throw in any unused veggies, nuts, seeds or legumes. This vinaigrette goes well with just about everything.
- 250 g rice penne, or other pasta
- 1 ripe avocado, chopped into small pieces
- 2 medium size tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (from a can or self cooked)
- 2 large green onions
- handful of chopped basil leaves
- 1 red pepper
- radishes to garnish (optional)
Or use any vegetables you have on hand!
Dill, Lemon and Chive Vinaigrette
- handful of fresh chives (about 20 individual chives)
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp agave or maple syrup
- Cook pasta according to the instructions on the package, let it cool, and put it into a big bowl
- Mix in all of the vegetables and chickpeas
- In a blender or food processor mix the chives, dill, mustard, agave and apple cider vinegar. Gradually add in the olive oil and continue to mix for 30 seconds.
- Pour the dressing over the pasta and mix it well
- Serve cold