This salad is ridiculously simple to make and is one of my favourite fall combinations: Pumpkin + pomegranate + toasted pecans + avocado all sitting on a bed of kale, and topped with a sprinkling of seeds, warm tempeh and a tangy balsamic vinaigrette.
It’s super healthy….chock full of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, protein and healthy fat. It’s light and refreshing and perfect for a fall lunch or to serve to guests.
To make the salad-making process easier, I love having cooked pumpkin on hand. If you cook some up on the weekend it’s a great, easy and delicious addition to many weekday meals.
There are two dressing options. A balsamic vinaigrette or a simple coconut oil + balsamic mixture. Both are delicious!
And if you don’t have all the ingredients on hand or you just want to change it up you could make all kinds of substitutions. Try butternut squash or sweet potato instead of pumpkin, tofu, seitan or chickpeas as protein instead of tempeh, switch up the pecans for walnuts or macadamias or try spinach instead of kale.
I love having this for lunch with my favourite milkshake on the side
- ~ 2 cups packed kale or enough to fill two large bowls + a drizzle of olive or coconut oil for rubbing
- 1 cup cubed, cooked, pumpkin
- ⅓ cup pomegranate arils
- ½ a small red onion
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped
- 1 small avocado, cubed
- Sliced tempeh for the top
- pumpkin and sunflower seeds to top
- OPTION 1
- 4 tbsp melted coconut oil + 1 tbsp balsamic
- OPTION 2
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 small garlic clove
- Heat a frying pan with 1 tsp of coconut oil and once warm, toast pecans over medium heat until lightly brown. This should only take a few minutes.
- Add another tsp of oil to the frying pan and pan fry the tempeh until browned.
- Put kale into two bowls and massage with a drizzle of olive or coconut oil to soften.
- Add all other ingredients including pecans and tempeh.
- Stir together dressing ingredients for whichever dressing you choose and pour over salad.