A couple of weeks ago I was making a batch of my favourite cookies and dreaming of fall flavoured recipes. As I was blending up the wet mixture, I had the idea to replace the standard mixture of apple sauce, coconut oil, milk, maple syrup and spices and instead make a pumpkin pie style wet mixture. The results were delicious.
These cookies have a delicious pumpkin pie flavour and tons of goodies folded in to make a snack high in protein, fiber, nutrients and healthy fat. Subtle hints of pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and maple flavours accompany rustic rolled oats, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and raisins.
I love these cookies because they’re extremely easy to make, they freeze beautifully and they’re so filling and nutritious.
They’re gluten free and refined sugar free and open to interpretation. They work well with pretty much any kind of flour or flour mixture, and you can experiment with the add-ins to suit whatever you’ve got on hand. I think macadamia nuts or chocolate chips would make excellent additions.
These cookies would make the perfect addition to lunch boxes or fall picnic baskets, after school snack, breakfast on-the-go, road-trip car food, or mid morning pick me ups with a steaming mug of tea.
Best way to eat? I love taking these on hikes or curling up on the couch with blankets and a good book and dipping them in a cup of almond milk or a steamy mug of chai tea.
- 1⅓ cups flour - I used ½ cup quinoa flour, ½ cup buckwheat flour and ⅓ cup oat flour, but I've tried it with many different flours and flour mixtures and had success with all of them.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1.5 cups pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- pinch sea salt
- ¼ cup chia seeds + ¾ cup water
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground vanilla
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ginger
- Preheat oven to 375 F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper
- Mix chia seeds and water and let sit for 4-5 minutes or until it thickens
- In a large bowl, mix flour, oats, pumpkin seeds, raisins, walnuts, sunflower seeds and salt.
- In a blender, blend the water+chia mixture, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, and spices.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined and there is no visible flour left.
- Place heaping spoonfuls of the dough onto your baking sheet and use a fork to flatten and shape the cookies (if it sticks then dip the fork in hot water).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies start to brown.