There are so many things to love about summer; long warm days, going to the beach, sitting by the lake, hiking, gardening, road-trips, farmers markets and the food… I love summer food! After a winter full of warm, rich and heavy food it’s so nice to have simple and refreshing summer meals. These cabbage wraps are definitely my go-to summer lunch. They are super easy to make, delicious, and you can fill them with anything you’ve got in the fridge!
I tend to use different ingredients each time I make these, but this is one of my favourite combinations so far. Filled with mashed avocado, brown rice, smoked tofu and a soy yogurt and mustard sauce they are so light and refreshing for a summer lunch!
Wrap and Filling
- Red cabbage leaf
- Half an avocado
- Handful of chopped red onions
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 small carrot (grated)
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1/3 cup cooked brown rice
- 3 or 4 thinly sliced pieces of smoked tofu
Yogurt Mustard Sauce
- 1/2 cup soy yogurt
- 1/2-1 tbsp of dijon mustard (or add more to taste)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional but it’s very good!)
One of the best parts about this recipe is that it is so easy to modify so that you can work with whatever you have on hand. There are so many different ways that you can make this! It’s great with tempeh or seitan instead of tofu, or just with vegetables.
Other filling ideas
- fried or raw mushrooms
- kidney beans or chick peas
- chopped red peppers
- sun dried tomatoes
- basil or any other herbs
- and if you don’t have the ingredients to make the sauce, it’s great just with plain mustard, soy sauce, hummus, or tahini!
- Mix all the ingredients for the yogurt sauce in a small dish or mug.
- Carefully take off the outermost leaf of the red cabbage and wash it well. They usually come off quite easily and it’s OK if they rip a little.
- Cut up the avocado and mash it on the bottom of the leaf. Then spread half of the sauce over it.
- Add the brown rice and all of the other vegetables (I like to put the rice on right after the sauce and avocado so that it ‘sticks’ a little and doesn’t fall out as easily)
- Top with the remaining sauce. Roll or fold the cabbage to the best of your ability and enjoy!!