These cookies are sure to be a hit at any Christmas party! With homemade blueberry chia jam sandwiched between two soft, sweet and flakey sugar cookies, a snowy dusting of icing sugar and an (optional) drizzle of glaze these look fancy but are surprisingly simple to make!
You start by making the dough which takes less than 10 minutes. Then the dough has to chill for 30 minutes and in the meantime you can make the jam (also less than 10 minutes!). The most time consuming (but fun!) part is the rolling, cutting and filling. The cookies are cut and baked and then sandwiched together with jam, sprinkled with icing sugar and drizzled with glaze.
If you want the cookies to look more festive, you could use strawberries or raspberries instead of blueberries. And if you want even less work, you can use a store bought jam instead of making your own.
These cookies would be perfect to take to Christmas parties, give as gifts, or enjoy on your own with a cup of tea.
I hope you get a chance to try these! Snap a picture and tag them #peacemealxo on instagram if you do!
- ----for the cookies-----
- 1 tbsp chia seeds + 3 tbsp water
- 1 cup (200 g) vegan butter
- ½ cup (100 g) cane sugar
- ½ tsp ground vanilla
- 2 cups (300 g) all purpose flour
- -----for the jam-----
- 1.5 cups frozen blueberries (or other frozen berry)
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 2.5 tbsp chia seeds
- ⅛ tsp ground vanilla
- -----for the top-----
- icing sugar to dust
- glaze - ½ cup powdered sugar + 1.5 tbsp hot water
- In a small glass, mix chia seeds and water, stir and let sit for 5 minutes
- Use the back of a fork to combine butter and sugar, until creamy and well mixed.
- Add vanilla and mix with the fork again.
- Add water + chia seed mixture
- Add flour, a little bit at a time, and continue to mix with the fork or a wooden spoon until the mixture is too thick. Then use your hands to knead until everything is well combined.
- Roll the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While the dough is chilling, make the jam - In a small saucepan, heat blueberries and maple syrup over medium high heat. After about 5 minutes or when blueberries are soft enough, mash them roughly with the back of a fork (it's good if there are still some big chunks). Add vanilla and chia seeds and continue to stir for 3 or 4 minutes until the mixture thickens and resembles jam. let cool.
- Preheat oven to 320 F
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface and use a cookie cutter to cut into the shape of your choice. In half the cookies (the 'lids'), cut a small circular hole in the middle (I used the lid of an olive oil bottle to do this)
- Bake for 15 minutes or until edges start to brown.
- Spread jam on the cookies without the hole and top with one of the lids. Top with a dusting of icing sugar and/or a drizzle of glaze.