This creamy Sun-dried tomato rice bowl has all the texture and flavour of a risotto without any of the butter or cheese. Fluffy, short-grain brown rice, caramelized red onions, sun-dried tomatoes and the subtly sweet and nutty flavour of pine nuts are combined with mild hints of basil and garlic, a light drizzle of olive oil, and tangy fresh citrus. Topped with peppery arugula, creamy avocado, and vegan parmesan cheese, this is the perfect comfort food.
This risotto is rich, smooth, creamy and delicious….and if you have pre-cooked rice on hand you can whip it up in less than 20 minutes!
Sun-dried Tomato, Onion, and Pine Nut ‘Risotto’ – serves 2
- 3 cups short grain brown rice (cooked) – about 1 – 1.5 cups uncooked
- 1 medium red onion + 1 tbsp olive oil
- Handful of chopped, fresh parsley
- 5 sundried tomatos (in oil), chopped into small pieces
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 tbsp Vegan Parmesan Cheese (4 tbsp ground almonds, mixed with 2 tbsp nutritional yeast and salt to taste)
- Arugula to garnish
- 1/2 avocado to garnish
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 7 large sun dried tomatoes (dry, not in oil)
- half a red onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 70g tomato paste
- 4-5 big basil leaves
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- First cook your rice. I usually have a big bowl of pre-cooked brown rice to use. But if you don’t have pre-cooked then follow the instructions on the package and cook it.
- While the rice is cooking, put onions and 1 tbsp olive oil into a small frying pan and saute on low-medium heat until the onions are soft and
- Make the Sauce:
- Put the 7 sundried tomatoes in a small sauce pan and add just enough water to cover them. Cook on high heat until the water boils
- In the meantime, chop the onion, garlic, tomatoes, and basil leaves
- Once the water boils, turn down to low heat and add all of the other ingredients to the pot. Let it simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then blend with a hand mixer or pour into a food processor and mix until you have a smooth sauce.
- Once the rice is cooked, turn the burner down to low heat, pour the sauce into the pot with the rice and mix well
- Add the onions, chopped parsley, olive oil, sun dried tomatoes, and parmesan cheese and mix well. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a small frying pan cook the pine nuts on medium heat, with no oil, until they start to turn brown (about 5 minutes)
- Add the pine nuts and lemon juice to the risotto
- Put into 2 bowls, and garnish with a drizzle of olive oil, avocado, arugula, and extra parmesan cheese