These bars are a perfect summery snack. A raspberry-blueberry-chia filling is sandwiched between two layers of streusel like dough and cut into bite sized squares perfect for snacking on throughout the day or packing for school/work lunches or weekend picnics.
They’re crumbly and lightly sweet with a hint of lemon and cinnamon, and with just 10 ingredients, they come together quickly and are easy to customize as well! The oat mixture doubles as a crust and a crumble topping. I used coconut sugar to sweeten it, but you could substitute any other sugar or probably even maple syrup.
If you try this recipe let me know by tagging it #peacemealxo on instagram
- -----For the Base and Topping-----
- 1.5 cups rolled oats
- 1.5 cups oat flour (rolled oats ground into flour)
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- pinch of sea salt
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- ⅓ cup almond milk
- -----For the Filling-----
- 1.5 cups frozen raspberries
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 6 tbsp chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 375 F and line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix oats, oat flour, coconut sugar, lemon zest and salt.
- Add melted coconut oil and almond milk and stir with a wooden spoon. The mixture should stick together and be a bit wet.
- Add about ⅔ of the mixture to the bottom of the pan and use a spoon dipped in hot water to press it down firmly and spread it evenly over the bottom.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until edges are golden.
- While the base is baking, make the jam - In a small saucepan, add the berries and lemon juice and heat over medium/high, stirring occassionally.
- When the berries are soft enough, mash them roughly with the back of a fork. I like when there are still some bigger chunks.
- Add chia seeds, and stir until well incorporated.
- Turn off the heat and let it sit, stirring every minute or so as it thickens. After about 5 minutes the mixture should resemble jam.
- Take the crust out of the oven, spoon the jam evenly over the top, crumble the rest of the oat mixture on top of the jam, and bake for another 20 mintues or until the crumble starts to brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely before cutting into squares,
- Store in the fridge.